Friday 21 November 2008

Attenborough's Masterclass




We were so lucky this week to have Richard Attenborough visit the RSAMD and talk to us about his practice and experience. I was astonished at this 85 year old wonderful director, who still has passion and ideas to make films and despite his age feels vigorous. We can learn a lot by someone as inspirational as he is. One of the questions that was brought up was why Richard chooses to present reality in his films and avoid fiction. He simply answered that he was fascinated by human nature, people as they are, therefore focused maily on performance that is as natural as possible. Richard has worked with a lot of famous actors and talked how important is to communicate with them, try to bring the best out of them, because they are the connecting element with the audience. It is those simple facts that everyone is aware of, but somehow forgets about them at the set. I hope I remember most Richard's advice when I make my films.
The other thing that made a huge impression on me was Richard's highly political film topics aiming at justice in society. As I was watching "Cry of Freedom" I though of the many barriers and obstacles ( by the South African Government) he must have had to release this film. And even though it has been difficult and probably dangerous he has managed to bring change in that society and contribute to the cause of freedom.

No comments: