Thursday 4 December 2008

Girl with a pearl earing


I've heard about this painting by an artist, so she also told me that there is a film based on the story. I finally watched it! (One less from my long list) I assume that the director is Dutch, because the film somehow carries an European ending... it means that it doesn't end with definite circumstances of the characters but only gives us a clue. Furthermore, the casting of Scarlet Johanson is quite successful. She not only looks like the lady from the painting, but also transfers subtle feelings and senses to the viewers. The quiet that pervades the work, the precision of the reflected light on the earing itself all speak to the ballance of Vermeer's canvasses.In my view the film is very carefully directed to transmit the same harmony and perfection that the painting radiates. The result: the film looks visually good. Most importantly, it gave me some insight about the colours, mixing them, "creating" the right ones. I totally love the story.

No comments: