Sunday 25 January 2009

CHE: Part One


I was quite excited to see that film, because I had certain expectations of what will be included. I suppose it's difficult to make a film about a hero like Che Guevara, because everyone interprets the story differently. The film did not disappoint me at all! A great performance by Benicio Del Toro and successfully built image of Fidel Castro. At first I was a bit afraid that the director might present Castro in a negative light as most Americans see him, but thanks god he didn't. I guess the whole point of part one is to enligten the viewers of the hard struggle that constitutes revolution, as well as the passion involved in the rebellions. The theme might possibly be Che's belief in the unity, equality, and national pride of the Latin American nations that are not going to tolerate forever the US government. One of my favourite moments was when Ernesto Che Guevara was giving a speech explaining the motives of the Cuban revolution and some latin american representatives were against him, claiming that they don't need his help at all, simply because they were corrupted by the US. Probably what I would add if I was to make the film, is a New Year's Eve scene, where Batista leaves his own party and the coutry realizing that his regime of oppression and corruption is over.
Anyways, now waiting for part two! Our Argentinian Doctor will go to Africa :(
I was also thinking that the film is aimed at people that are very familiar with the life of Che, otherwise it might be difficult to assimilate and follow.

No comments: